Amazing accounting leadership opportunity exists for a proven real estate Controller/Assistant Controller. Be the first Controller for a growth-minded company with deep roots in the Washington, DC region.
Real Estate Controller - Washington, DC
Full-service commercial and residential real estate developer and operator, located in Washington, DC, is experiencing growth and expansion, and needs to hire its first Controller.
This is a small, entrepreneurial developer with a superb group of people who work well together. This Controller will have total leadership oversight and responsibility over the accounting function and process. This is a one-person operation, with the support of outsourced practices. He/she should be able to work to "own" the daily tasks and help create and sustain a "best-in-class" operation.
As the Controller, you will have responsibility for the day-to-day accounting operations, including overseeing the month-end close, preparing financial statements, and working with outside auditors. Even with established accounting systems and procedures, this client is looking for someone ready to analyze how they are doing things now, and, if warranted, recommend, champion and implement new ways of doing things. This is a role for someone to be part of the business, not only a technician. He/she will receive some administrative support and work with outside auditors and accountants, but this will primarily be an independent position!
- Assess and determine accounting support requirements
- Manage all general ledger process and accounting software operations
- Manage monthly and year-end closing activities, prepare, post and reviews entries, runs reports, and addresses issues related to preliminary and final close
- Lead the analysis of current systems and procedures and provide recommendations on upgrading accounting systems and procedures, and then implementation as needed
- Maintain the accounting system, including creating and deploying new reports, account numbers, modifying reports and P&Ls
- Review bank reconciliations and monthly general ledger reconciliations
- Assist with compliance requirements
- Oversee preparation and issue of billings and monitors collections
- Manage accounts payable and cash disbursement
- Support audit and reviews (working with outside firm)
Compensation & Culture:
- BA/BS Degree in Accounting
- CPA preferred but not required in lieu of industry experience
- Five (5+) or more years of related experiences within real estate accounting
- Real estate multi-entity environment training is preferred
- Experience using QuickBooks software is required
- Knowledge of accounting principles and GAAP
- Experience managing (and doing) ALL facets of Accounting and Finance operations, including the General Ledger, accounts receivable, accounts payable, billings, collections, and cash management
- Must have strong analytical thinking and troubleshooting skills
- Client is a high performance % high satisfaction workplace culture.
- Offering a fair, competitive base salary ($130,000 - $150,000) dependent on exp.
- Discretionary but competitive yearly bonus target
- 100% hybrid workplace (2-3 days in-office with great understanding and flexibility)
- Unlimited vacation days
- Offer transparency and total team mentality