One of Washington’s premier trade associations is looking for a Director of Information Technology Operations who is responsible for directing the day-to-day activities of the network, help desk, staff training, and IT security staff and vendor resources. The Operations Director works closely with the CIO, vendors, and clients, assuring that technology resources and services are aligned with our client’s needs, are available when needed, perform well, are secure, and are resistant to equipment failures.
Provides guidance and leadership to the IT department and its technicians, but also directly supports end users by handling escalations, resolving user issues, and monitoring the performance of business-critical systems to prevent delays and outages and quickly resolve ongoing issues.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops a life-cycle approach to infrastructure investments to ensure they are properly maintained and monitored for performance and security-related issues and events.
- Monitors organization’s on-premise and cloud servers, networks, and computer systems for irregularities and performance issues. Assesses system data and error logs, along with user reports, to determine areas for improvement or repair.
- Directs the activities of IT technicians, both to directly support end-users and to assist with IT department upgrades and directives.
- Manages vendor relationships for outsourced help desk, network, and IT security to ensure optimal performance.
- Designs and implements preventative maintenance measures
- Provides top-level support for network edge devices and customer support issues; includes troubleshooting and resolution of chronic service problems or those with significant impact.
- Ensures the most effective and efficient use of servers, storage, and network bandwidth.
- Develops IT policies and procedures and ensures the department operates effectively and reliably.
- Develops and enforces service level agreements (SLAs) for all services in the IT Service Portfolio
- Provides direct user support by handling help desk or service desk escalations. If IT technicians are unable to successfully resolve a user’s issue, assess the situation and devise a solution to the problem.
- Supports IT department activities while upgrading systems and servers and migrating the organization’s data.
- Develops and tests business continuity and disaster recovery plans
- Analyzes business problems and develops action plans to implement technology solutions.
- Writes or revises user documentation to explain to staff how to use available services.
- Provides management oversight of the computer training program, providing appropriate training resources to improve staff facility with technology.
- Reviews and enhances employee on-boarding and departure processes to ensure equipment, accounts, and services are available when needed for newly-arriving employees and properly accounted for when employees terminate.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, AND EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, computer science, or management information systems or a related discipline, with at least ten years of experience in information technology. A Master’s degree is a plus.
- Extensive training on computer software and hardware, including servers and systems, to successfully lead IT departments
- Demonstrated expertise in Data Center operations, Help Desk supervision, Call Center operations, network design, and performance management. ITIL, ITSM, or PMP certification is a plus.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, especially when it comes to directly address user issues with the software, hardware, and servers
- Must be able to effectively manage IT personnel and set department priorities
- Strong financial management and budgeting skills
- Experience developing and implementing policies and procedures for the IT department. Familiarity with assessing and improving processes is vital
- Demonstrated experience in leadership positions for IT departments serving the needs of on-premise and remote staff in dispersed locations.
- Demonstrated experience in Security and/or operations incident response
- Excellent problem-solving skills, especially when it comes to directly address user issues with the software, hardware, and servers (on-premise and cloud)
- Strong written and verbal communications, able to communicate with team members, management, and end-users throughout the organization.
- Extensive experience within an organization’s IT department working as technicians or analysts
- Demonstrated experience with VOIP telephony, Call Manager system, and domestic or global wide-area networks
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex projects.
- Must be self-directing and able to work in a team-oriented environment