Hiring for an Accounting Manager for a rapidly growing Real Estate and Development firm in Arlington, VA! This position reports into a fantastic CFO, and offers TREMENDOUS growth opportunity now and in the future. This position will have direct access to Senior Leadership and will be granted autonomy to make changes that impact the organization. The Accounting Manager is going to be involved and assist in leading the direction and day-to-day accounting of the Company, projects in predevelopment and development, in addition to the operating portfolio of mixed-use multifamily assets. Our client is modern and progressive, and looking for someone who is excited to join an entrepreneurial, nimble, and exciting growth organization.
Accounting Manager Job Description
Washington DC-metro focused real estate company with various investment strategies focused on ground-up multifamily and mixed-use development as well as the acquisition of existing multifamily assets. We take pride in creating compelling residential communities that build value for our neighbors and our investors. A boutique-sized firm that is highly entrepreneurial, we have an experienced and passionate team that is multidisciplinary in its approach. We’ve acquired and developed over $1.4B in assets since inception and is rapidly expanding its existing portfolio of real estate investments.
We are looking for a new team member to work closely with the CFO and Controller, and assist with the direction and day-to-day accounting of the Company, projects in predevelopment and development, as well as our operating portfolio of mixed-use multifamily assets. Additionally, this candidate will help drive system implementations and innovation across the Company. The candidate for this position will have experience in development and joint venture equity accounting, as well as a working knowledge of real estate tax matters. The candidate will have a proven track record of success and ability to operate in both a collaborative and independent fashion. This individual will have exposure across all facets of the business and will be able to gain a deeper understanding of real estate investment and development while contributing to the success of the organization.
- Ensure books and records are accurate, and if required, prepared in accordance with US GAAP.
- Assist with financial reporting, budgeting, and analysis.
- Manage general ledger process and accounting software operations.
- Operate and maintain the accounting system, including creating and deploying new reports, account numbers, modifying reports and P&Ls, and creating new entities.
- Manage and coordinate AP/AR processes, including cash disbursements and receipts.
- Assist with system evaluations and eventual ERP upgrade, as well as other system implementations.
- Evaluate accounting related processes and provide recommendations for enhancement, with a focus on streamlining and automating redundant and manual tasks.
- Review monthly property level financial statements and provide any comments and/or feedback to third party property accountants and asset management team.
- Execute monthly and year-end closing activities, prepare and post entries, run reports, and address issues related to the close.
- Coordinate with external auditors and tax preparers to ensure annual financial statement audit and tax prep work for operating properties is completed accurately and timely, as well as respond to various inquiries and prepare tax/audit schedules as requested.
- Coordinate and/or prepare miscellaneous tax filings, including BPOL, personal property, and I&E.
- Prepare bank reconciliations and monthly general ledger reconciliations.
- Assist with monthly draw process and job cost reconciliations.
- Assist with compliance requirements.
- Prepare monthly/quarterly distributions.
- Assist with various HR, payroll, and admin related activities, as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
- CPA or CPA candidate preferred, not required.
- 4-6+ years of relevant real estate accounting experience. Related tax experience a plus.
- Public accounting experience a plus.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with CFO, Controller, and others across the organization.
- Understanding of ERP systems, AP processes, and other back-end system connections.
- Experience with Sage 300 or Sage Intacct a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office tools, specifically intermediate to advanced Excel capabilities.
- Ability to excel with a large volume of work, multi-task, and work in a fast-paced and team-oriented environment.
- Self-motivated and proactive with an entrepreneurial spirit and keen business sense.
- Strong communication, analytical, and problem-solving ability.
- Self-motivated with meticulous attention to detail and strong work ethic.
- Able to interact well with internal and external teams.
- A person who can effectively utilize collaboration and candor across the organization.