Large publicly traded financial services company in he Washington DC Metro area seeks a Director Compliance. This role will work as a partner with management and employees, demonstrating that compliance is a business priority and can safeguard longer term success in implementing the company’s business strategy. The Director - Compliance focuses on employee communication and implementation of compliance priorities, which will include maintaining the anonymous whistleblower hotline.
- Acts as a second line review-and-evaluation function to help ensure that compliance issues within the organization are being appropriately assessed, investigated, and resolved. Evaluates alleged violations of laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and standards of conduct and recommends the initiation of investigative procedures and the resolution of issues as appropriate. Develops and oversees a system for timely and uniform handling of alleged violations, including proper reporting to senior management and the Board of Directors.
- Conducts compliance risk assessments to identify key compliance risks. Develops, initiates, maintains, and revises policies and procedures for the general operation of compliance program and related activities designed to prevent illegal, unethical, or improper conduct. Manages day-to-day operation of the compliance program.
- Identifies potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk; collaborates with the Risk Officer to develop and implement corrective action plans for resolution of identified issues; and provides general guidance on how to avoid or deal with similar situations in the future.
- Oversees Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) program, including maintenance and updating of Business Process Narratives and identification and testing of key controls within applicable business units.
- Institutes and maintains an effective compliance communication program for the organization, including awareness of standards of conduct and periodically briefs on any changes to or developments with the program.
- Periodically reviews and updates code of conduct and internal board and management policies for continuing currency and relevance in providing guidance to management and employees.
- Collaborates with all departments to direct compliance issues to appropriate channels for investigation and resolution.
- Monitors and, as necessary, coordinates compliance activities of other departments to remain abreast of the status of all compliance activities and to identify trends.
- Provides reports on a regular basis to keep senior management informed of the operation and progress of compliance efforts.
- Serves as a required approval in certain key business processes for the company.
- Works with the HR department and others as appropriate to develop an effective compliance training program, including appropriate introductory training for new employees as well as ongoing training for all employees and managers.
- Works with Internal Audit as appropriate in the performance of compliance audits.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, business, mathematics, statistics, law, or other relevant field; graduate degree regarded as an asset.
- 10+ years of experience related to establishing, implementing, and maintaining policies and procedures for an organization (including its managers, employees, and appointed representatives) to comply with its legal, regulatory, and contractual obligations.
- Professional certification, such as Certified Bank Compliance Officer (CBCO), Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager (CRCM), or Certified Regulatory and Compliance Professional (CRCP) preferred.
- Familiarity with enterprise governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) software, applications, and platforms (e.g., Archer, Metric Stream, NAVEX Global, Process Unity) preferred.
- Knowledgeable about governmental and financial laws and regulations.
- Maintain a program that helps to ensure that firm’s business dealings are ethically sound and comply with applicable requirements and educate the entire company about the program to instill practices that will help promote a culture of honest and ethical conduct, impartiality, accountability, and compliance.