We are looking for a Windows Systems Engineer
with knowledge and experience supporting large Enterprise environments by administering and maintaining MS based servers in a mixed physical and virtual environment. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, with excellent communication skills, who works well with a team and as a directly responsible individual. This is a remote position with occasional, as-needed, travel to the Corporate office in downtown DC and colocation/datacenter in Ashburn Va.
Systems Engineer Responsibilities:
Systems Engineer Requirements:
- Monitor and maintain a mixed physical and virtual-VMware Enterprise environment with new system builds, configuration for new hosting applications, maintenance, upgrades and patching of systems.
- Develop and maintain working knowledge on a wide range of Enterprise applications and systems to include Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, GPO, IIS/Apache, and PKI.
- Provide day-to-day operational support of web-hosting activities (IIS/Apache) and work on a variety of projects designed to improve our back-end infrastructure.
- Directly participate in MS Windows 2008r2 OS upgrade project.
- Monitor and remediate Nessus security scans of infrastructure systems.
- Follow security, management and maintenance best-practices/procedures to provide maximum uptime of systems and applications.
- Monitor and maintain servers and applications to ensure high availability, usability and security. This includes participation in monthly overnight server OS patching schedules.
- Provide server administration and other related support, including maintenance and operation of a diverse array of MS Windows servers.
- Utilize ticketing queues to address all server and application issues in a timely manner, recording solutions and escalating tickets as required.
- Work directly and effectively with other teams in troubleshooting problems and finding solutions.
- Participate in on-call rotation, ensuring uptime of critical servers, networks, and applications.
- Develop and maintain standard operating procedures and other technical documentation for operational tasks.
- Manage complex problems through to a successful conclusion.
- Evaluate and recommend changes to improve and optimize IT system infrastructure.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience working with Infrastructure/Windows technologies and design/implementation/support (Windows OS 2008, 2012, 2016, 2019, Domain Controllers, AD trust, DHCP, DNS, IIS, GPO, PKI & Clustering).
- Administrative experience with VMware virtual infrastructure in an enterprise environment.
- Knowledge of Email MTA (DKIM/SPF/DMARC/MX records) is a plus.
- Linux (CentOS) experience is a plus.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Ability and willingness to create project documentation with diagrams and cross-training other team members.
- Ability and willingness to work an occasional-flexible schedule as needed to meet project deadline. (on-call rotation and nights/weekends as needed).
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with the ability to understand the long-term “big picture”.
: MCP/MCSA/MCSE, VCP