Vice President, Controller - Washington, DC
This is an amazing situation and opportunity for the right person in the real estate accounting community to help the CFO stabilize and improve current processes and operational framework; and, drive a new vision, brand and success with a very established real estate company in the Metro DC area. This individual will be a key player and true partner with CFO to help a large, multi-layered and located, highly complex real estate business strive and accomplish numerous accounting and finance goals.
Reporting directly to the CFO, this position is responsible for all aspects of corporate/operational accounting, financial reporting activities including, but not limited to, budgeting, long-term financial planning, monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting. Will help by being "hands-on" in all aspects of the department - accounting, budgeting, FP&A, systems, process improvement, consolidations and reporting - and move and act more like an individual contributor to start, and lastly, be afraid to solve problems and seek out other challenges, as needed.
Desired Qualifications - Education & Experience:
- Oversee the corporate accounting and reporting process to ensure monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports are prepared in an effective and timely manner for complex, multi-entity service company.
- Manage corporate accounting outsourced team of 7-8 individuals led by corporate controller and ensure proper training, leadership and efficiency of Houston-based corporate accounting team.
- Responsible for leading corporate accounting function in technical interpretations of new IFRS rules and ensure proper application to current reporting.
- Maintain and report on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and statistics for the entire enterprise.
- Work with the vice president FP&A and corporate controller to set standards for budgeting, performance metrics and reporting. Ensure timely and accurate completion of all corporate reporting deliverables.
- Lead the development and management of all corporate reporting systems to ensure technology solutions are efficient and aligned with corporate reporting goals.
- Prepare cash management and cash flow forecasting and reporting for CFO.
- Perform regular variance analysis, profitability, and other ad hoc analysis as required.
- Manage and continuously improve various reporting deliverables; lead the monthly forecasting process including preparation of financial data to the Executive Committee and quarterly reporting to parent company board of directors.
- Lead the Annual Operating Plan Process; work with senior management and senior leadership to develop revenue and expense budgets across multiple business units.
- Manage annual audit process and ensure timely completion of all consolidated corporate audits.
- Develop and execute all necessary control objectives required to meet annual audit standards for testing and certification.
- Assist CFO with capital planning, loan restructuring, tax planning, M&A and cash management strategies
Culture & Compensation:
- BS/BA in Accounting
- CPA required
- Minimum eight or more (8+) years of experience in accounting and reporting
- Real estate property management/development experience preferred
- Public accounting experience highly preferred
- Excellent management potential - be able to help build the right team
- Strong interpersonal skills; be able build relationships across a complex organization
- Sense of urgency and responsiveness with proven ability to multi-task
- Business and financial acumen; solid business judgment and decision-making
- Must demonstrate leadership skills, intellectual strength, personal motivation, problem solving, and solid written and oral communication skills
- Competitive base salary ($175,000-$200,000) depending on relevant experience
- Competitive annual bonus target
- Possible future equity available
- Competitive benefits and perks
- Attractive office location - near shops, restaurants etc. (metro accessible)
- Start-up minded attitude and habits will be rewarded
- Candidates who like real estate and want to make change and help drive performance and improvement will be a great fit!
- Fair, supportive and thoughtful management style
- Looking for a VP, Controller who can be trained to become a CFO for the future