Cordia is partnered with a premier higher education institution who is seeking a Controller
to join their team on a contract basis with the potential for contract to hire.
On-Site - Tallahassee, FL
Converts at $140,000/year
Contract / Contract to Hire
As a member of the senior management team reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Finance and Administration, you will be responsible for managing the collection, disbursement, and reporting of university funds and property. You will be expected to ensure that established goals and objectives are communicated and attained within these departments. In addition, you will be responsible for maintaining budgetary controls on all funds, managing and controlling investment programs, expenditures, and tangible property inventory. You will also be responsible for collecting all funds due to the organization and ensuring that total assets are managed appropriately. Given the highly confidential nature of the data you will have access to, you must maintain reasonable confidentiality utilizing good judgment and integrity. Additionally, it is important to be creative and resourceful in a constantly changing and expanding environment.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Designing and enhancing university automated financial/information systems, troubleshooting existing systems, and testing and implementing future upgrades.
- Overseeing audit engagements performed by internal/external auditors, representing the Division of Finance and Administration within and external to the university as it relates to financial and accounting matters, and serving as a liaison between the university and other state agencies and universities on financial and accounting matters.
- Plan, organize, and direct fiscal and accounting activities of the university, providing leadership and policy direction to all areas of the Controller's Office.
- Develop and establish policies and procedures for University fiscal affairs ensuring compliance with all internal and external guidelines.
- Maintain budgetary controls on all funds and manage and control investment programs, expenditures, and tangible property inventory.
- Oversee the general accounting reporting and operations, grants and contracts accounting systems, maintenance of subsidiary general ledger, reconciliations, investments, cash management, accounts payable, student accounts, payroll, financial system security, bond issues, and risk management operations.
- Prepare annual financial statements for the university and interact with auditors in completion of financial and operation audits.
- Ensure compliance with University policies and procedures relative to all financial transactions and electronic feeds to the general ledger.
- Design, establish, and maintain an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the department’s goals and objectives.
- Implement operational and financial controls that protect the assets of the university and are also cost-effective.
- Interact extensively with the direct support organizations of the university, particularly the financial operations within the organization.
- Serve on various committees as needed at both the university and state level.
- Draft and review legislative and University policy/procedure changes.
- Prepare periodic reports to Vice President such as weekly cash status, projections/forecasting, accounts payable aging, budget to actual, variance analysis, and trial balances.
- Perform other duties as required.