Cordia is partnered with a premier higher education institution who is seeking an Assistant Controller
to join their team on a contract basis with the potential for contract to hire.
On-Site - Tallahassee, FL
Converts between $55k-$65k
Contract / Contract to Hire
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining payroll tax and HR vendor accounts payable records and ensuring the organization complies with federal, state and local tax guidelines and regulations. Ensure that all tax, health care and retirement EFTs are made to agencies accurately and on time.
- Responsible for ensuring garnishment payments are set up correctly so that the proper amount is deducted and that the payments are sent to the vendor in a timely manner as required by law.
- Process payroll deduction vouchers for each payroll, including off cycles, to make sure they are sent to AP in a timely manner for payment. Responsible for sending the HR accounting lines to the Financials module for each payroll, creating the payroll journal, and reconciling the journal to the totals in HCM. Correct any chartfield and budget errors as needed in a timely manner before posting the journal to the GL. Responsible for creating the encumbrance accounting lines in HCM biweekly and sending the lines to the Financials module. Correct any chartfield and budget errors as needed in a timely manner before validating the journal. Distribute the encumbrance report as needed.
- Create and maintain files for nonresident persons to ensure the proper taxation of these individuals according to federal regulations. Prepare and submit the monthly sales tax report to the State of Florida, including setting up the online payment. Collaborate with technical staff to ensure PeopleSoft tax tables are current. Prepare and submit quarterly reports for federal payroll taxes, state unemployment reimbursement, state wage listing and state/federal worksite reporting. Prepare and distribute the annual Unrelated Business Income Tax report. Prepare and distribute the annual W2 and 1042-S information reporting statements in a timely manner to employees and the Social Security Administration. Process requests for duplicate W2 statements throughout the year. Prepare and distribute W2c statements as needed to the affected employees and the SSA for changes made to previously reported wages and withholdings.
- Make corrections to employees' records in HCM as needed when new information is received from the Division of Retirement or the FAMU Payroll Office.
- Process refunds of taxes and other deductions and submit to the Payroll Office. Prepare reports and uploads for the Financial Statements team to assist with the annual financial statements.