Great direct hire/ full time
, Accounting Manager opportunity with a growing Biotech company in Rockville, MD
! As the Accounting Manager, you will lead the monthly, quarterly, and annual close accounting processes, which includes preparation and review of financial statements and financial reports for both consolidated and non-consolidated legal entities. In addition, you will oversee the filing of regulatory information, including government contracting billings and reports, sales tax filings, and other governmental compliance issues. Our clients offer competitive compensation and a great team environment.
Accounting Manager Responsibilities:
Accounting Manager Requirements:
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments. Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Ensure accounting records are in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Evaluate new or existing accounting guidance as needed
- Assist with documenting the Company’s accounting policies and procedures
- Comply with financial internal controls
- Review monthly account reconciliations and validate the accuracy of account balances
- Research and resolve account discrepancies on a timely basis
- Provide appropriate supporting documentation for account balances
- Supervise the preparation of monthly financial statements and reports
- Analyze financial statements and explain variances in the financial results as compared to prior periods
- Review government project grant labor and other direct costs monthly. Prepare journal entries and invoices for government grants in accordance with grant requirements. Ensure timely filings of indirect rates and financial reports
- Supervise sales tax charges and accruals and work with the Tax Department to file returns monthly and quarterly
- Oversee monthly lease and debt accounting and review required journal entries to ensure accuracy
- Review monthly, quarterly and annual debt compliance schedules to ensure that they are accurate and in accordance with loan documentation
- Supervise revenue allocations for bundled performance obligations in accordance with Accounting Standards Codification 606, Revenue from Contracts with Customers
- Collaborate with the General Ledger Team to create closing schedules and procedures and resolve issues that impact the timeliness and/or reliability of financial results
- Assist with year-end audit preparation, ad hoc reporting, and financial analyses as required
- Assist the Controller and Assistant Controller with research on GAAP pronouncements including Accounting Standards Codification Topic 842 on Leases
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting from an accredited US institution
- Minimum 8 years accounting experience including 2 years of supervisory experience
- Experience with government grant accounting preferred
- Experience with JD Edwards ERP preferred
- Experience with a public accounting firm preferred
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of accounting fundamentals to include Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the ability to document and adhere to accounting policies and procedures. Knowledge of government accounting standards a plus
- Strong analytical skills with a demonstrated ability to gather and evaluate complex data and information and develop a recommendation and plan of action.
- Proficient in working with accounting systems and designing and maintaining spreadsheets and data bases with a focus on Microsoft Office, particularly Microsoft Excel
- Strong leadership skills with demonstrated knowledge and understanding of staff management practices and processes and the ability to establish accountabilities and expectations and manage performance to achieve result
- Ability to work independently, as an effective team member and with all levels of the organization
- Attention to detail with demonstrated commitment to excellence and performance
- Excellent organizational, planning, and time management skills with the ability to manage multiple and often changing priorities and issues of varying complexity, while meeting time-sensitive deadlines and deliverables
- Ability to resolve complex problems for the department and implement solutions that entails cross-functional coordination.
- Ability to build/foster relationships.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to organize, present, and articulate ideas both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to perform ad hoc reporting and other tasks as needed in a demanding financial environment with changing priorities