Our client is a software design and implementation company located in Columbia, MD. They are looking to add a Payroll Specialist to their team. The Payroll Specialist is responsible for processing both weekly and bi-weekly payrolls. This includes ensuring pay is processed in a timely and accurate manner, while adhering to compliance with Federal, State, and local government regulations. This position reports to the Senior Payroll Manager and salary will not exceed $70k to start. This position is fully in office for the first 90 days, and then will be moved to a hybrid model.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Reviews payroll each cycle to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including wage payments, benefits withheld, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions.
• Reviews payroll reports to ensure accurate processing of changes provided by HR business partners related to each pay cycle. Changes include, but are not limited to rate changes, new hires, termination pays, bonus payments, etc.
• Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices.
• Completes payroll analysis for current and prior week payrolls to help minimize risk associated with incorrect payouts to employees
• Maintains accurate records of each payroll cycle to assist in payroll audits (internal and external)
• Maintains integrity and confidentiality of data prepared and processed within the department
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Extensive knowledge of the payroll function timesheet reconciliations, including overtime rules and regulations for both Federal and State jurisdictions.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
• Strong multi-state tax compliance knowledge
• Exceptional customer service skills
• Effective communication skills (both verbal and written)
• Working knowledge of Office 365 (Excel is a must).
Education and Experience:
• 3+ years’ experience in payroll processing.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• ADP Workforce Now experience is preferred.