This role helps establish and maintain a positive, collaborative and inclusive work environment, coaches leaders and drives success through the Employee Experience programs. This role aims to mediate and solve problems quickly and efficiently to build employee morale, productivity and retention.
This is a mid-level position, with travel requirements to our locations approximately 70% annually (3-4 times per week). Occasional travel to the central office (Rockville, MD) is also required. Fluency in English and Spanish is required.
Salary: $75-85,000 depending on experience.
Some Responsibilities Include:
- Visit each location/region at least twice a month - at least one meeting with location leadership team to discuss topics such as employee relations situations, leave of absences, ADA, workman’s comp, overall morale of the store, MTM check in requests, stay interviews, recruiting etc.
- Foster a workplace consistent with organization’s purpose, values, and goals.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of policies and is the point of contact for employee policy questions.
- Stay up to date with HR compliance and provide guidance to store management on applicable laws.
- Attend store meetings to stay in the know and provide HR updates as needed.
- Coach leadership to develop trusting relationships and partnering on areas such progressive discipline, performance management, leaves and accommodations, DEI, benefits and HR programs and initiatives.
- Follow proper guidelines for FMLA, ADA, Pregnancy/child bonding processes and complete requests within required timeframes.
- Assist in fact finding for EEOC, state, federal charges/complaints.
- Complete employment investigations within 5-10 business days (contact appropriate parties, conduct the meeting(s) and documents appropriately).
- Handle employee relations issues and escalations appropriately (up to and including terminations).
- Comply with and give guidance to managers on union related processes (i.e. Weingarten summary)
- Follow up with management to ensure HR documentation is received in a timely manner.
- Conduct appropriate mediated conversations (i.e. employee grievances) and close the loop with all parties involved.
- Collaborate with the EE team, store leadership, Leadership Development, Training department to improve/provide HR training (i.e. safety, compliance). Facilitate leadership training bi-annually and annually.
- Assist with surveys/stay interviews/exit interviews and present data in a timely and easy to understand format.
- Respond to employee questions appropriately and resolve issues within SLAs (ex. first response within 24-48 hours), across all platforms (i.e. email, chat, phone, in person, Zendesk).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or combination of education and experience
- 3-5 years’ related HR experience, focusing on employee relations
- Proficiency with Google Suite, Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of HR practices, compliance & laws
- Demonstrated success in providing solutions to leadership in a complex environment
- Excellent attention to detail, especially with communication (written and verbal) and meeting deadlines
- Interpersonal skills to handle sensitive situations and confidential information appropriately
- Flexibility and adaptability in a frequently changing environment
- Enthusiastic advocate for company culture
- A deep desire to learn, contribute, increase efficiencies and add value
- Positive, proactive and solutions-oriented attitude with flawless execution
- Ability to overcome resistance and effectively manage change
- Assertive, yet humble
- Fluency in Spanish (oral and written)
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- 5+ years employee relations experience
- Prior HR experience in a multi-state retails or multi-unit company
- Professional in Human Resource Certification (PHR) or SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP)
- Experience with HRIS software such as Dayforce