Temp to Hire
Hybrid – Arlington – 3 days
Must be hands on – ability to deal with complex AP process.
Must be able to speak on experience from a technical standpoint.
As an integral member of the finance team the Senior Accountant, Accounts Payable is one of the main contributors to financial statements, annual budgets, and forecasts. S/he completes monthly reconciliations, journal entries and other work needed to close books in a timely manner. Supervises accounts payable coordinator position. Reviews recurring financial processes such as check-runs and credit card reconciliations and assists in developing and monitoring internal controls to ensure best practices are followed.
Assist Director of Finance with Monthly Close and general reporting (approximately 65% of effort):
Audit and Tax preparation (approximately 20% of effort)
- Works with accounting staff and Director of Finance on day-to-day accounting functions and monthly closing process, particularly regarding accounts payable.
- Responsible for all processes related to disbursements and their recording in the GL.
- Directs and reviews work of Accounts Payable Coordinator including the timely and accurate payment of invoices, and all other disbursements.
- Assists in preparation of financial statements for the organization, including for 25 different programs or activities.
- Responsible for credit card accounts, monthly AMEX payoff, and monthly tie in to accounts payable balance in the general ledger.
- Ensures accounts payable journal ties into accounts payable general ledger balance each month.
- Creates reports in several software programs as needed.
- Assists in developing, implementing, and reviewing of internal control procedures particularly those in the accounts payable area including those to prevent duplicate payments.
- Responds to questions and provides financial information about financial reports and key performance indicators used by program managers and leadership in their decision making.
- Supports program managers and executive office staff about accounts payable and other financial issues.
- Other analysis projects.
Budget preparation (approximately 10% of effort):
- Prepares monthly and annual schedules and workpapers for the annual audit and IRS Form 990’s and 990 T’s.
- Create and review reports for special purposes and analyze specific activities or proposals.
Other Duties as assigned (approximately 5% of effort):
- Assists program managers with budget submissions, reviews program budgets for accuracy, completeness, and reasonableness.
- Assists in preparation of budget document and development of key performance indicators to assist senior leadership with decision making.
Education and Experience Required:
- Provide advice, support, reports to program managers and other staff as situations require.
Education and Experience Preferred:
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, business, or a related field.
- At least 3 years of related experience
- 2 years of supervisory experience
Certifications & Licenses Preferred:
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies Required:
- Experience in public accounting, preparation of IRS Form 990, preparation of financial statements, and experience working in a membership association.
- Strong financial acumen.
- Willingness and ability to track and meet multiple and competing deadlines.
- Experience using complex accounting software including subsidiary ledgers.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to influence and engage others.
- Ability to effectively utilize interpersonal skills and reliable information when working with internal customers, team members, and external stakeholders to accomplish project goals.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to consistently attend to details and meet deadlines.
- Ability and commitment to keep information confidential.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Ability and commitment to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Excellent technical support, analytical, and problem-solving skills