Our client, a stable non-profit in Washington, DC is looking for an Accounting Manager to join their team on a temporary, potential temp-to-perm, basis. The Accounting Manager is responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements, addressing tight deadlines, and a multitude of other accounting activities including accounts payable, payroll, accounts receivable, and general journal entry, general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation and preparing budgets and financial forecasts.
- Obtaining and maintaining a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Ensuring accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end closings.
- Assisting with daily banking requirements.
- Ensuring the accurate and timely processing of positive pay transactions.
- Performing monthly reconciliation activities for all bank accounts, credit cards, and all other credit liabilities, including end of the month vendor statements.
- Assuring that restricted funds are fully accounted for and never commingled with general operating funds.
- Assuring that fund balances for our various stakeholders are timely and accurately maintained and reported.
- Preparing budgets and performing forecasting activities as required.
- Monitoring actual performance against applicable budgets and documenting areas that need attention.
- Monitoring and analyzing department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Advising staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Responding to inquiries from managers regarding financial results, special reporting requests, etc. on a timely basis.
- Ensuring a timely year-end audit and assisting auditors with questions and additional information requests.
- Assisting in developing and implementing new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Creating and maintaining departmental Standard Operating Policies and Procedures.
- Making sure Accounting department is adhering to GAAP to the highest degree possible and making sure required internal control checks and balances are in place.
- Maintaining vendor, customer, and payroll files.
- Supervising accuracy of work handled by departmental staff.
- Visiting operating sites on a regular basis to become familiar with staff and work flow.
- Performing other duties as needed to assist in accomplishing the requirements of the Accounting
- Bachelors in Accounting or Finance
- CPA preferred
- 5-7 years of experience in general ledger and fund accounting and experience leading a team in the financial reporting/general ledger area.
- Hands-on accounting experience and skills are a must.
- Excellent analytical problem-solving skills.
- Results and detail-oriented.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work both independently and as a cross-functional team member.
- Experience working in a CPA or professional services firm is preferred. Also, non-profit experience is a plus.