Our client is a $25M non profit in DC. We are looking for a hands-on, day-to-day transactional Non-Profit Controller
to handle all accounting duties. The Controller
leads and directs the company's accounting functions. The Controller establishes and maintains the association's overall accounting systems, procedures, and policies; directs all analysis and reporting of financial information including budgets, planning, and required filings and reports; and presents findings and recommendations to the Chief Financial Officer.
Primary Controller Job Responsibilities:
- Analyze financial data and present financial reports in a timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; and monitor progress
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate standards and regulatory requirements; maintain internal controls and safeguards for all financial transactions; and manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines; and changes to keep management abreast of the association’s financial status;
- Assist the association’s leadership and staff in the annual budgeting process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate
- Prepare semi-monthly employee payroll and all requisite tax reporting.
Ideal Controller Candidates will have:
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience) in accounting, economics, business, or finance, and 5+ years of experience in a similar role in a nonprofit organization;
- CPA and/or MBA is desired;
- Superior interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, and the capacity to communicate with tact and professionalism;
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite, financial software applications and tools, and experience in Association Management systems (AMS) and content Management Systems (CMS.) Understanding of VBA, Power Pivot, and Power BI is a plus.
- Effective project management, planning, and organization skills. Ability to work autonomously with initiative.
- The ability to analyze problems, develop a path toward problem solving, and coordinate the process to completion; and
- Have strong multi-tasking and organization skills and a comfort in maintaining multiple, often conflicting, priorities.