Senior System Administrator III- Washington DC
Clearance Level: Top Secret Required
Location: Washington, DC
Salary: $120,000 - $150,000
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated Senior System Administrator to join our team at the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory (NRL). In this role, you will be responsible for performing a wide range of system administration, network administration, security administration, and technical support tasks, along with related database administration duties. As a Senior System Administrator, you will play a crucial role in maintaining and optimizing the organization's IT infrastructure.
- Install, update, and troubleshoot systems/servers effectively.
- Conduct functional and connectivity testing to ensure uninterrupted system operations.
- Develop and document standard operating procedures for systems administration.
- Comply with established systems administration standard operating procedures.
- Implement and enforce network usage policies and procedures.
- Maintain baseline system security according to organizational policies.
- Manage accounts, network rights, and access to systems and equipment.
- Monitor and optimize system/server resources, including performance, capacity, availability, serviceability, and recoverability.
- Proactively monitor and maintain system/server configuration.
- Conduct repairs on faulty system/server hardware.
- Plan, execute, and verify data redundancy and system recovery procedures.
- Troubleshoot hardware/software interface and interoperability problems.
- Perform regular system maintenance, including cleaning, disk checks, routine reboots, data dumps, and testing.
- Design and implement group policies and access control lists to ensure compliance with organizational standards and business needs.
- Oversee the installation, implementation, configuration, and support of system components.
- Diagnose and resolve faulty system/server hardware.
- Provide ongoing optimization and problem-solving support.
- Configure and optimize network hubs, routers, and switches, including higher-level protocols and tunneling.
- Develop and implement network backup and recovery procedures.
- Diagnose and resolve network connectivity issues.
- Install and maintain network infrastructure device operating system software.
- Install or replace network hubs, routers, and switches.
- Monitor network capacity and performance.
- Patch network vulnerabilities to ensure information security.
- Test and maintain network infrastructure, including software and hardware devices.
- Integrate new systems into existing network architecture.
- Provide feedback on network requirements, architecture, and infrastructure.
- Security Administration:
- Assess the effectiveness of security controls.
- Apply security policies to meet system security objectives.
- Analyze and report organizational and system security posture trends.
- Ensure proper documentation of all security operations and maintenance activities.
- Implement security measures to resolve vulnerabilities and mitigate risks.
- Ensure compliance with system security measures and confidentiality, integrity, availability, authentication, and non-repudiation requirements.
- Verify and update security documentation reflecting the security design features.
- Apply security policies to applications and ensure the integration of Cross-Domain Solutions (CDS) in a secure environment.
- Monitor and assess cybersecurity-related system implementation and testing practices.
- Perform cybersecurity testing of applications and systems.
- Provide cybersecurity recommendations and guidance to leadership.
- Assist in resolving computer security incidents and vulnerability compliance.
- Provide input to disaster recovery, contingency, and continuity of operations plans.
- Diagnose and resolve system incidents, problems, and events reported by customers.
- Install and configure hardware, software, and peripheral equipment in accordance with organizational standards.
- Administer accounts, network rights, and access to systems and equipment.
- Monitor and report client-level computer system performance.
- Troubleshoot system hardware and software issues.
- Analyze incident data for emerging trends.
- Develop and deliver technical training to educate users.
- Maintain incident tracking and solution database.
- Make recommendations for software and hardware enhancements based on trend analysis.
- Perform asset management/inventory of IT resources.
- Perform configuration management, problem management, capacity management, and financial management for databases and data management systems.
- Implement data management standards, requirements, and specifications.
- Analyze and plan for changes in data capacity requirements.
- Install, configure, and maintain database management systems and software.
- Monitor and optimize database performance.
- Perform backup and recovery procedures to ensure data integrity.
- Support incident management, change management, and availability management for databases and data management systems.
- Maintain assured message delivery systems.
- Implement data mining and data warehousing applications.
- Manage data compilation, cataloging, caching, distribution, and retrieval.
- Provide recommendations on new database technologies and architectures.
- Active DoD Top Secret Clearance is required and must be maintained.
- 10+ years of technical experience in system administration, network administration, security administration, technical support, and database administration.
- Must hold a DOD Approved 8570 Baseline Certification at IAT Level III.
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize and multitask effectively.
- DOD Approved 8570 Baseline Certification at IAT Level III is required.
- (CASP+ CE, CCNP Security, CISA, CISSP (or Associate), GCED, GCIH, CCSP)
- Computing Environment (CE) certifications (e.g., MCP, VCP) are desired.
- Bachelor's degree in a related discipline (e.g., information security, cybersecurity, information technology) is desired.