Position – Director of Finance & Administration
Location- Fairfax, VA
Industry: Not For Profit
Target Temporary Pay: $60-$65 per hour
Potential to go permanent?: Yes, this role is TTH
Software: QuickBooks, Bill.com, payroll is Trinet
Remote Work Available?: Hybrid role and 1-2 days in office is expected
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Director of Finance & Administration works closely with the Executive Office regarding, and implementing, key management decisions that relate to fiscal operations, human resources and office administration. This is a supervisory and managerial position which requires the ability to work both independently on matters of significance to the business operations of the organization as well as a member of a team. In addition to working closely with the Executive Office, the Director works with staff; finance, HR & benefits, and audit vendors; technology staff and vendors; regional independent contractors; office and other outside vendors and with organizational affiliates.
Key duties include supervision and direction of accounting and financial functions including oversight of timely and accurate preparation of annual budget and monthly financials, facilitating accurate and timely bimonthly payroll, oversight of the annual financial audit, oversight and preparation of organizational tax and organizational filings, oversight of finance staff and outside financial team (CPA firm inclusive of bookkeeper), as well as service as a senior staff liaison to the Audit and Finance Committees.
In consultation with the Executive Office, manages the HR functions of the organization, which include effective recruitment, recognition, employee onboarding and retention and, together with frontline supervisors, development of professional development plans and furtherance of performance management reviews as well as maintenance of HR policy manual.
Requires a minimum of 5 years of direct financial experience, with direct financial experience with nonprofit organization(s), with experience with organizational revenues of a minimum of $5M per year, inclusive of budgeting experience.
Position involves exposure to, and handling of, highly sensitive and confidential information and materials and therefore requires outstanding skills related to confidentiality, diplomacy and discretion.
Position involves working with a global multicultural team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Oversee the organizational Accounting and Finance functions ensuring preparation of accurate, timely and informative financials statements and budgets for both (50l(c)(6), MILCC, an affiliated 50l(c)(3), as well as an affiliated training entity and prepare related charts to present financial information in an accessible manner.
• Oversee payroll and ensure timeliness and accuracy of compensation as well as employee benefits.
• Review monthly account reconciliations and ensure accuracy.
• Ensure compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) as well as the annual filing associated with the same.
• Support a strong accounting and operational control environment to safeguard assets, improve profitability and manage business risks.
• Advise Executive Office on existing and evolving financial issues.
• Advocate sound financial/business decision-making.
• Communicate financial concepts to staff and others in a clear and persuasive manner that is easy to understand and drives desired behaviors.
• Provide guidance regarding accounting and budgeting policies and procedures, and efficient control and utilization of financial resources.
• Maintain Financial Policy Manual.
• Serve as a senior staff liaison to Audit and Finance Committees and ensure staff liaison provides smooth and effective committee support.
• Facilitate annual financial audit and annual budget and forecasting.
• Facilitate timely and accurate tax filings including the 990s as well as the federal foreign bank account filing, 1099s and other federal and state tax filings for both our client and the affiliated 501(c)(3) MILCC and training entity.
• Supervise finance staff on receipt of revenue and timely payables, reimbursements and, as needed, per diem.
• Facilitate continuous and appropriate insurance coverage for our client and affiliates.
• With CEO and Finance staff facilitate wire transfers.
• Oversee financial approvals for payables.
• Oversee smooth transition to Bill.com
• Maintain up-to-date Continuity of Operations Manual and ensure the same for finance staff.
• Manage Human Resources in consultation with Executive Office and supervisors including effective recruitment, compensation, recognition, onboarding & offboarding, engagement as well as employee benefits.
• Facilitate background and reference checks.
• Facilitate accurate and timely payroll and leave reports including timely notification of need for fund transfers.
• Oversee and facilitate extended leave requests (e.g., maternity) inclusive of facilitating appropriate benefits
• Maintain and manage schedule of annual performance reviews and updates of staff Continuity of Operations manuals.
• Working with CEO and other members of the Executive Team, maintain a comprehensive organization specific (non-payroll company) Personnel Manual, updating the same biannually.
• Review current benefits options and make recommendations regarding the same.
• Provide timely and relevant information to staff regarding compensation, as well as benefit options.
• Maintain employee personnel records.
• Working with Executive Office team, facilitate educational trainings including with respect to professional development topics.
• Working with outside vendor, Trinet, maintain compliance with human resources federal and state requirements.
• In collaboration with supervisory personnel, update position descriptions as appropriate.
• Where necessary, and in conjunction with the CEO and other supervisory personnel, maintain staff job results by counseling and disciplining employees.
• Work with other members of our client and affiliates staff to advance staff professionalism and engagement and positively shape staff culture.
• Maintain schedule of contract renewals and facilitate timely renewals.
• Implement document retention policy inclusive of storage and document destruction.
• Maintain a safe, secure workplace in compliance with appropriate requirements.
• Oversee office vendors inclusive of office supplies.
• Advance assigned components of the organizational strategic plan.
• Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory duties currently include supervision of one accounting staff position.